Dr. Cristoforo/Carmosino Spear Study Club presents …
New Homecare Products: Facts vs. Fads (Zoom meeting)
With so many new dental products on the market, patients ask for and need your professional guidance now more than ever. Are antioxidants, polyphenols, xylitol, edathamil, iodine, charcoal or NanoHPA products worthy of your recommendation? We’ll compare manufacturer claims with available evidence. An extensive and very current handout that will help you design optimal homecare regimens based on patient specific factors accompanies this entertaining yet comprehensive summary of product information.
- After attending this course and reviewing the handouts, the participant should be able to:
- Recommend a mouth rinse based on patient factors such as xerostomia and caries risk,
- Select a dentifrice for a specific patient based on type of fluoride, gingivitis or calculus reduction, sensitivity reduction, abrasiveness, cleaning ability, and safety with chronic use,
- Choose the most effective mechanical and chemical treatments for halitosis, and
- Select an “alternative” homecare product line based on effective ingredients and reasonable manufacturer claims.
- 6:30-6:40 pm Information Sources and Evaluation Methods-What to Look and Ask For
- 6:40 – 7:20 pm Dentifrices (Fluoride, High Fluoride, NanoHydroxyapatite, Gingivitis, Baking Soda, Alternative, Tartar Control, Desensitizing, Whitening)
- 7:20-7:30 pm Saliva Enhancement Products (Calcium, Phosphate, Enzymes, Probiotics)
- 7:30-8:00 pm Mouth rinses (Fluoride, Molecular Iodine, Xerostomia Comfort Rinses, Antioxidants, Deodorizers for Halitosis)
About the Speaker:
Professor Karen Baker has been on the Dental College faculty at the University of Iowa for 40 years and occupies a unique role in dental practice and education. She is a clinical pharmacist with a Master’s degree in clinical pharmacology and therapeutics and is focused on patient-specific dental drug therapy. She has given well over 1,000 invited programs nationally and internationally and holds memberships In many dental and clinical pharmacology and therapeutics organizations. Her dental education-based pharmacy and drug therapy consultation center is the only one in the United States. She has authored more than 50 articles, abstracts, and lectures extensively in pre-doctoral and graduate courses at the University of Iowa.
Wednesday, April 13, 2022
6:30-8:00 p.m. Zoom Meeting
Straumann & D&S Dental Laboratory
Zoom Meeting – registrants will be sent a link
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.